In-House Legal Counsel
Posted on Saturday, February 3, 2024
BrainStorm (www.brainstorminc.com) is a B2B SaaS company that drives digital adoption and organizational change for outstanding companies around the world, including PepsiCo, American Express, MasterCard International Inc., Discover Financial Services, Merck Company, and more.
BrainStorm has an energetic, fun-loving, yet hard-driving culture. On this high-tech, A-team, every employee runs with the ball and directly contributes to its success. Once we walk through the door, it’s definitely ‘Go Time’.
BrainStorm, Inc. is looking for In-house Legal Counsel to lead our legal department. In this role, you will be responsible for providing strategic legal advice and guidance to the executive team and every business unit of the company on a wide range of legal matters, including SaaS contracts, intellectual property, compliance, employment, litigation, etc. You will also manage external counsel and oversee the legal budget. This is a great opportunity for someone with a few years' in-house SaaS experience at a larger company but wants to take on the responsibility of running the entire department and legal operations.
What You'll Do
● Serve as the primary legal advisor to the executive team on all legal matters affecting the company
● Draft, review, negotiate, and manage all technology-related agreements involving BrainStorm’s cloud-based (SaaS) web platforms, including master subscription/service agreements (MSAs), order forms, data privacy/protection agreements (DPAs), cybersecurity agreements, and related ancillary agreements
● Coordinate and collaborate with all BrainStorm departments on all legal aspects of SaaS sales transactions, with particular emphasis working hand-in-hand with our Sales, Technology, and Client Success teams daily to drive transactions to completion while managing risk and maintaining compliance
● Protect and enforce the company's intellectual property rights, including trademarks, patents, and trade secrets
● Ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, including data privacy and security
● Advise on employment law issues, such as hiring, termination, compensation, benefits, and policies
● Advise BrainStorm’s Product team on contractual commitments, regulations, and other legal matters
● Manage and resolve any legal disputes or litigation involving the company
● Develop and implement best practices and policies for the legal function
● Manage and supervise external counsel and legal service providers
● Monitor and report on the legal budget and expenses
● A Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school and admission to practice law in the state of Utah
● At least 3-5 years of combined law firm and in-house legal experience, preferably in the technology space
● In-depth knowledge and experience in SaaS contracts, intellectual property, compliance, and corporate law
● Excellent contract drafting, analytical, and critical thinking skills. Keen understanding of key contract provisions for technology-related agreements and the give-and-take nuances of negotiating such provisions, including Limitations of Liability, Indemnification, Representations & Warranties, Intellectual Property Rights, and Data Security
● Maturity, poise, and a high level of comfort leading contract negotiations on calls/virtual meetings opposite executive leadership and legal counsel for BrainStorm’s customers who range from Fortune 100 and other large enterprises down to mid-market and SMBs
● Strong business acumen, sound business judgment, and the ability to balance risk and compliance to reach a mutually acceptable agreement
● High ethical standards and integrity
● The ability to have fun and never take yourself too seriously
BrainStorm provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Medical, dental, 401k, and other benefits are included. The position is available in the American Fork, UT office.
BrainStorm Inc is not open to third party solicitation or resumes for our posted FTE positions. Resumes received from third party agencies that are unsolicited will be considered complimentary.